Do you desire to write a book but have no idea where to begin?
Or perhaps you are in the process of writing a book and find yourself stuck and not sure how to move the story along.
If you answered yes, to either of these questions your prayers have been answered and HELP has arrived!
Being an author of eight books I have learned some things along the way that I believe will be extremely beneficial to you.
Below are 10 Rules for Writing Like a BOSS!
- Be Authentic – The #1 way to connect with your audience is to be YOU! People can spot a fake/phony from a mile away. Remain true to who you are by allowing your personality to be expressed through your writings which in turn will make your reader feel as if they are actually getting to know you.
- Be Strategic- Before you begin any project you should not only know WHAT you desire to do but HOW you desire to do it as well. In making it happen you must have a strategy to make your book a success. In doing so this may or may not include (a.) Hiring a coach or (b.) Working with a publishing company. I have seen countless numbers of people trying to do it on their own only to have a really cool story loss between the pages of a book that no one is buying.
- Be Specific- Before you begin writing it is essential that you know WHO you are writing to. Many tend to just write the intention of everyone reading their book. Truth is more books are sold when they are geared toward a particular group of people/audience. Also, always write as if you are speaking to one individuals although thousands within your target audience may actually read your book.
- Be Organized– One thing that plagues many aspiring authors is the lack of organization. All many of them is that they want to write a book, not really sure on what topic or what the overall purpose of the book is. Within my training course, Write the Book Already I share a step by step guide on how to write a best selling book in 7 days! It is the exact blueprint I have used with each one of my books. It helps me organize my thoughts and prevents me from being all over the place in my writings. You can learn more about this course by clicking here: http://carlacannon.com/write-book-already-writers-coaching-program/.
- Be Fully Present- I encourage all writers to schedule a time to write in an atmosphere that is conducive to bringing out their creativity. This environment should be free of noise, food and clutter. While in this space you want to ensure you are fully present mentally and physically. Also, I encourage you not to spend no more than (3) hours at a time writing because honestly after staring at a computer screen that long it is wise to give your eyes a break.
- Be Focused- Enter into your writing space with your blueprint (I share this within my training course; click above to learn more and own yours today), and know ahead of time how long you will be writing. Set your timer, remove your cell phone, house phone and turn off all notifications on your phone to minimize distractions. If your spouse and kids can’t seem to keep the noise down, try rising up early before everyone else does, or stay up late writing once they are all asleep. If all else fails take time and go to your local library to write and be sure to take your thumb drive with you and oh yeah, leave your cell phone in the car and set the timer on your watch to inform you when your time of writing is up.
- Beware- Be aware of the needs of your audience. When someone picks up a book, their #1 thought is, “What is this book going to do for me?”
This is why I believe the top areas individuals look at when determining whether or not to purchase a book are: (1) Title & Subtitle (2) Colors (3) Table of Content and (4) Content on the back of the book. If they are not intrigued by all 4 of the above more than likely your book will be put back on the shelf. This is why you muse beware of your audience as well as intentional about getting your message out to the masses.
- Be Resilient– The moment you make a decision to write your book, expect everything that can go wrong to go wrong. This is simply a distraction. Anytime you are giving birth to purpose you must endure labor pains. You see, your manuscript is more than just words on paper; it is your baby and it will cost you to deliver it if you expect your message to impact the lives of others. I like to say it like this: If you expect a small number of people to be impacted by your work then expect small amounts of opposition. But if you desire the world to be impacted by your work expect tremendous experience. Greater the impact; greater the labor pains. The question is will you abort or go through with the delivery.
- Be Ready– Through Inspiring Hearts Coaching Institute I have taught, equipped and activated dozens of individuals into not only discovering their life purpose but also learning how to profit from it in the process. Within my institute I also teach, when you write a book you launch your business. Therefore, be ready to speak publicly regarding your work. If your work touches the lives of others trust me someone is going to want to book you as a speaker to have you come and share your story and key principles in front of a live audience. Writing is one thing; but speaking is a another skill that can be developed and nurtured this is why you must understand that when you write a book you launch your business!
- Be Honest– If you are going to share your story you must commit to being completely honest! I built my entire business off of sharing my life experiences; some funny while others were extremely painful. However, both enabled my audiences to connect with me and desire to work with me or invite me to speak on their platforms. This rule is congruent with Rule #1: Be Authentic.
If you found the above tips to be helpful I’d love to hear from you, simply comment below and share with me what point resonated with you the most!
Also, this Friday, my new book: TURBULENCE: A Practical Guide on How to Remain Resilient in the Midst of Every Storm will be available at Amazon.com!
If you desire to write a book and are seeking a publishing company where you can maintain ownership of your work and receive 100% profit, visit http://www.cannonpublishing.net!