Never in a million years would I have dreamed that I would be where I am today. You are reading the blog of a woman that many counted out; heck; I even counted myself out! You ever have so many people speaking against you to the point you start believing what they are saying about you?
Out of my mother’s two children, I was her problem child. I was always fighting, running away from home, stealing, partying, drinking, smoking; pretty much doing anything I thought I was big and bad enough to do. I also ended up pregnant at the age of 17 and should honestly have had AIDS by now due to the reckless life I was once living but by the grace of God I am still standing; alive, healthy and disease free (PRAISE BREAK)
I honestly didn’t care about my life. I was super disrespectful to my mom, was angry with my inconsistent Dad while spending much of my time trying to find him in the older guys I seemed to attract. One thing I’ve learned is that men can detect/smell a desperate, lonely and broken woman. But hey that’s an entire different blog I’ll have to write on a different day!
What does all of this have to do with me firing my boss by the age of 30? It was because of the things I had gone through that stirred up such a passion and desire to encourage others. It was out of my discouragement that I began to write a newsletter to empower others. Not knowing that newsletter would develop into a magazine which would evolve into a movement including me hosting annual conferences with women literally traveling all across the globe to attend.
Mind blowing right? It gets better…
None of this was intentional for me. I started with a fervent love for God and people and He did the rest. I know business experts want to focus on how to make money and all that but I say the reason why I am successful today is because money was the last of my focus. I was not focused on monetizing my message. I was focused on getting a message of hope out to the masses that later developed into books, training programs/courses, live and virtual events, my own consulting firm and publishing company.
Holding my 1st book released in 2013: The Power in Waiting. Click here to grab your copy:
In 2013 I wrote a book sharing a portion of my life and titled it, “The Power in Waiting: What Do You Do When What God SAID Doesn’t Line Up With What You See?” Within 24 hours this book (pictured above) became an international best seller and also led me to being recognized on the National Best Seller List for Black Christian Authors. I found myself in the same category as one of my favorite authors, Valorie Burton (Author of Successful Women Think Differently- one of my favs; you should definitely grab this book.)
Anyway, after publishing this book one thing led to another and then BAM I began to write more books but my passion began to evolve as I saw myself evolve personally as a woman who loves Jesus into a woman who became passionate about entrepreneurship. Which honestly shouldn’t be a surprise, my mom has ran and operated her own boutique for over 20 years.
Holding my book, The Entrepreneur Blueprint. Grab your copy by clicking here:
What next? I wrote another book and it became an international best seller! I wrote another one after that and it became an international best seller! And another one..and you get my point. BUT…guess what? All of this did not come without the following:
What I didn’t share is that I spent 4 years building my business while working my 9 to 5. By the time I left my job I had already tripled my income BUT I left with only $250 in the bank. HOW? Because as soon as the money was coming in I was spending it right back out on websites, hard copies of my magazine, flyers; etc. I was very particular about my brand and I spend a fortune developing it (yes it was worth it)
Now, here’s the good stuff. HOW DID I FIRE MY BOSS BY THE AGE OF 30.
By doing the following:
- I was FOCUSED- I knew what I wanted and I worked hard to get it by any means necessary (legally both in the earth and Heaven- haha- seriously) I was a coach before I knew what coaching was. I was helping people strategize before I knew what a Breakthrough Strategist was. I simply did what came natural to me. I didn’t chase money, or what was popular. I did what was in my heart to do: help people.I coached clients on my lunch break.I conducted interviews with some of the leading influencers in the Gospel industry while on my lunch break; sitting in my car. (Such as Kiarra Sheard, Valorie Burton, Dr. Traci Lynn, Shirley Murdock, Sarah Jakes Roberts, Tasha Cobbs & more!)
I did not make any excuses. I stopped listening to what folks in my neighborhood told me I couldn’t do and started focusing on what God had put in my heart to do! I drowned out the naysayers and became laser focused on what had now become my KINGDOM ASSIGNMENT which led to my birthing as a KINGDOM ENTREPRENEUR!
- I was DEDICATED– Instead of going to lunch with my gossiping co-workers I went to my car and did research on how to expand my brand and develop client attraction. I coached clients on my lunch break and responded to emails. If you are going to be successful in anything you must first be dedicated. Success takes time.
- I operated with CLARITY- Although I had no intention on learning how to establish a multi-million dollar company (in which I am my way to doing) I had clarity on what I was to be doing at that very moment. Often times we can focus so much on the future that we miss the opportunity to live in the moment and enjoy today. I remember reading a book by Joyce Meyer (another one of my favs & inspiration): Enjoying Where You Are While On the Way to Where You’re Going and within the pages of this book I learned that life isn’t about the destination but the journey.
- I was RESILIENT: A resilient man or woman is a dangerous individual because they have a predetermined mindset that nothing or no one will ever stop them. Despite my haters and naysayers I made a decision to keep pressing forward. I refused to allow my past or even current struggles to define me. As I experience turbulence I refused to quit. I studied the eagle and learned how it used the storm to lift it higher into the sky and it flew above it. I thought that was amazing. That’s what we have to do in the midst of pursuing purpose and our dream; allow the storms that rage in our lives to lift us higher. Never allow your storm to cause you to quit. It was designed to bring out the best in you; the best that you never realized was there that only the storm could have birthed. Once you learn how storms work for your benefit if you remain resilient you will become more thankful for them.
- I was COMMITTED to finishing what I had started. Nothing about entrepreneurship is convenient. There is never the right time to leave your job, or buy a house or new car because you never know what each day will bring. Your phone could be ringing off the hook and your email and Pay Pal blowing up one day or one week and complete silence take place the next week. In order to fire your boss and live the life of your dreams you must be committed and learn to marry the process. As long as there is breath in our bodies we will always be in the process of becoming. The day our purpose is fulfilled in the earth is the day we will breathe our last breathe. Be committed to doing what God has placed in your hands to do or better yet what you say you desire or feel called to do.
There is so much more I could share but I’ll leave these 5 principles with you and as you focus on them and begin to master them I’ll return to share 5 more principles with you more so in the area of business and what it takes to develop and maintain a profitable business.
If you desire to speak more one on one regarding your business ideas or to gain clarity regarding your life purpose or current assignment. I’d love to serve you. Click here to learn more about Trailblazer Coaching & sign up to schedule your one on one session with me today! CLICK HERE: http://carlacannon.com/trailblazer-1-on-1-coaching/
Enjoyed this blog? Comment below and let me know how it helped you.