Hello and welcome to Empowerment Monday!!!!!! As you can see I am having a very colorful start and today thus far has been absolutely amazing!!!! It is my goal today to change your mindset and mentality toward Mondays. Too many people are dreading the idea of having to get up out of their bed and begin their day simply because it’s Monday!
I too understand how it can be to dread going to a job that you hate, or to awaken to the same pain you felt the night before praying and wishing that you could possibly sleep it away but sometimes life just doesn’t work that way! Today, I want to share with you how to SNATCH BACK your happiness NOW!
I am currently reading a book by one of my favorite authors and speakers, Valorie Burton entitled, “Happy Women Live Better: 13 Ways to Trigger Your Happiness Every Day”. For the next 12 days I have committed to reading one trigger per day (while no the elliptical or treadmill) and applying them to my daily life.
One thing you may not know about me is that I once wrestled with depression and my emotions would often go up and down; I literally felt like a yo-yo. I could be having a great day then all of a sudden one phone call, one person cutting me off on the highway, one unexpected bill had the ability to do something different. Well, like I am encouraging you to do, I had to learn to SNATCH BACK my life and not allow myself to be controlled by anything or anyone except the Holy Spirit!
Inside Valorie’s book I learned that Trigger #1 is: ANTICIPATION. She shares that is important to have at least one thing you look forward to EVERY day. Whether it is seeing your honey, greeting your children as they arrive home from school in the afternoon, seeing your favorite movie, meeting with your team; etc.
Valorie shares if there is not anything currently on your schedule for you to look forward to, then create it! Meaning don’t wait for a friend to invite you to an event or outing, but you be proactive and invite him or her to join you! She also went on to share how we must learn to be present in the moment. In a society where everyone’s eyes are glued to their cell phones email and social media she shares the importance of “savoring the moment” and not allowing yourself to miss the moment because you are more concerned about sharing the moment than actually enjoying it. This really stuck with me because I am so quick to share things rather than enjoy them and share them later. Trust, I’ll be keeping Valorie’s advice in mind moving forward.
Valorie went on to share 5 Simple Ways to Build Anticipation:
1. Set a goal: You all know my favorite saying, “A goal without a strategic plan of action is simply a wish.” Valorie says your goal does not have to be to conquer the world but you must be willing to conquer your current day. Isn’t that powerful? Why focus on conquering the world when you can literally only live one day at a time therefore, why not enjoy it!
2. Make a list of simple pleasures: Write out what makes you happy; what you enjoy that adds laughter, smiles and joy to your day. Eliminate anything that depletes you and takes away from you enjoying your current moment. Here is where you may have to re-evaluate friendships and relationships as well as establishing much need boundaries to protect your “happy place”.
3. Talk About It: Valorie say share your anticipation with others. Talking about what you are looking forward to increases your anticipation which in turn triggers your happiness and brings great joy your way.
4. Add to the Joy: Include others in your “happy” moments. Perhaps invite a friend to join you in the park, or at your favorite coffee shop or book store. Be open to being creative in order to add to the joy.
5. Count Down: Be a kid about what you are anticipating to take place in your life. Count down. Write it on the white board in your office, change out a sticky note on your frig or mirror daily reminding yourself of what you have to look forward to!
Implement these 5 simple ways to build anticipation and SNATCH BACK your life! Know that life is worth living, but you must tap into your creative power and remember that you are responsible for the outcome of your life. Your divine happiness does not lay on the shoulders of anyone else except yours. Take steps to getting back to happy or remaining in that happy place daily. Sure things will happen, but you deal with them, release them and get right back to your happy place!
Next week we will tackle trigger #2: SMILE! Get ready for your journey of overcoming depression and getting back to happy with your Transformational Coach, using this book as a tool!!!!!
For deeper revelation purchase Valorie Burton’s book by visiting http://www.ValorieBurton.com.